I’ve never made homemade treats for my cats before, but I found a recipe at this fun site called Catz Got a Blog. They seemed simple enough to make, so I thought I’d give it a try. The original recipe can be found here. I altered it slightly, so I’ve listed my version below with comments.
Olive and Dexter scarfed the treats right down (and went crazy while I was making them). But sadly, Sophie is not allowed to try them because of her strict diet. (Don’t worry, I gave her something she can have.)
Maybe you can make your cats a little treat this weekend! Have any recipes you want to share?
Here’s a look at the ingredients. Don’t forget the egg, like I almost did!
- 3 baby carrots
- 12 oz. canned tuna in water
- 3.75 oz. salmon in water (original called for sardines)
- 2 tbsp. bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. catnip(I did not include this.)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, cook baby carrots with some water in microwave for about one minute or until they are soft. Drain and mash the carrots. (Next time I would just use shredded carrots.)
- Drain tuna and salmon from can. Reserve liquid for use later as garnish.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix evenly (except reserve liquid).
- Scoop into cupcake tins (mini ones would be perfect) or roll into balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until they are firm. Let them completely cool before serving. (Because I used the paw tin shown below, I left them in for 25 minutes.)
- Drizzle with a bit of the reserve water and serve. (I skipped this part.)
Remember, these are treats and not meant to be your cat’s main diet.
Olive and Dexter enjoying the treats!